Monday, April 3, 2017

Something to be Proud Of (Proud Michigan Educator Campaign)


I am a Detroit, Michigan educator.

I could get specific and give you the exact private-public-or-charter label,
district/school name, and classroom number...but I won't.

Instead, when I say that I am a Detroit educator, do you instantly pity me or are you intrigued?

Pity me because of the data, the articles, the rumors and realities?

Intrigued because you secretly want to know what it takes to be a Detroit educator?

Hmmm....

I don't need your pity, but keep me on your prayer list instead because it takes a whole lot to be a Detroit educator. 

Even more intrigued?

Well it's no secret that Detroit educators are tough folk. We have to be in order to handle the task set before us. Many Detroit educators have to peel back layer after layer of trauma-filled experiences held inside some of our students just to make room to pour in the academic content needed to not only succeed on an assessment, but in life overall,with the expectation that they will make a positive impact on their neighborhood, city, state, country, and the world.

Detroit educators are doers and givers. We often do the hard things to ensure that students and in some cases their families know that there is someone out there who cares before,during,and after school. We give our blood, sweat, and tears every single day. 

Some even give more than that.

Lastly, Detroit educators want others to know that their students are intelligent and inspiring.

Resilient and remarkable.

Lovable and loved.

Now, there are many other acts,deeds,and characteristics which can be attributed to the Detroit educator. However, if all these things were written down, the libraries of the world could not contain them.

My name is Erica M Dean.
I am a #proudMIeducator , 
but more specifically, 
I am a #proudDetroitMIeducator .

-------------------------------------------------------------

ABOUT THE #proudMIeducator CAMPAIGN:
Celebrate the work of proud Michigan educators on social media using #proudMIeducator. #proudMIeducator is a campaign of the Michigan Department of Education that aims to acknowledge, celebrate and elevate the work of great educators in the state of Michigan. For more information, please visit Proud Michigan Educator Campaign .



No comments:

Post a Comment

On That Day...

During Summer 2018 I had two interviews. Job interview #1 was for the newly established position of Master Teacher. Job interview #2 was...