Wednesday, September 12, 2018

On That Day...

During Summer 2018 I had two interviews.

Job interview #1 was for the newly established position of Master Teacher.
Job interview #2 was for the familiar favorite position of Assistant Principal.

For the Master Teacher position, you would be asked to support teachers during one part of the school day, and teach during the other half of the school day.

For the Assistant Principal position, you are responsible for supporting the principal as they promote their vision for the school community.

Two positions built on support.

I attended the Master Teacher eligibility pool interview first, bringing my laptop to present a sample grade-level training session for the panel. I was so excited and animated...almost floating above my seat as I discussed how I would work with my colleagues. On the way home, I secretly hoped I wasn't too excited.

The following week  I attended the Assistant Principal interview, happy to get another shot at (hopefully) being added to the eligibility pool and then selected by a Principal. I answered every question to the best of my ability and drove home smiling...until I started second-guessing all of my answers to the questions presented to me. Wow.

What I love and appreciate about my relationship with God as a 41 year-old is that I know when to accept His plan, knowing that He always knows best.

Although we want what we want...and adding certain titles certainly look good on our social media profiles, God knows what route/plan/position will bring blessings to our lives so we can bless others.

The school year in Detroit officially began Tuesday, September 4, 2018.

On that day, I woke up smiling and very excited as I drove to a new opportunity.

On that day, I began my journey as a Grade 5 ELA Teacher / Master Teacher.

PS:  It's written like that on my email signature and alerts my colleagues that I can both relate to any classroom frustrations they may have (because I'm in the thick of it as well) and offer instructional support...not as a "Know-It-All" but as a Co-Thinker.

As I navigate the 2018-19 school year,  my goal is to #EnjoyTheJourney , looking forward to many days filled with opportunities to continue growing as an educator. It's going to be very interesting.

In fact, it already is :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

On That Day...

During Summer 2018 I had two interviews. Job interview #1 was for the newly established position of Master Teacher. Job interview #2 was...