Monday, September 5, 2016

The Other First Day of School

Before I type anything, I ask God to give me a few worthwhile and honest thoughts. On this Labor Day 2016 afternoon, with a nice early September breeze blowing through the window,I couldn't help reflecting on tomorrow, which is the First Day of School in the district where I serve and for others as well.

While I am sure there will be plenty of happy sunshine moments, my mind is on those individuals who are less than fully enthused about going back to school, which actually equals going back to work. Yes I know it is their "job" and if they dread it THAT much they should just quit and do something else, right?

Maybe.

Perhaps they just cannot "quit". Perhaps it is not that easy to do so.
My theory is that such individuals do not dread their jobs enough to quit, but simply, they are good teachers in need of a listening ear and additional encouragement to help them make it through the school year.

In our line of work, there are those teachers who have "it": the demeanor, attitude...whatever "it" is to build instant rapport with their students,lay down those classroom expectations and have the students follow them lock-step, and are the envy of their teaching colleagues. On the other hand, there are those teachers who kinda sorta have "it", but "it" just needs to be pulled out...and let's be clear, such teachers are not always the first or second year newbies: some of these types of teachers have been around for a minute, still waiting for their "it" to develop.

In wrapping up this post, my hope is that we will be mindful of and remember to build up, shore up, and lift up our colleagues who need it. After all, it could be your word of encouragement that keeps them working one more day.

PS. And remember, when and if your colleague walks by with their noisy class, please don't slam your door in disgust. Consider what they may be going through and offer them a tactful hand of support. You will be blessed for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

On That Day...

During Summer 2018 I had two interviews. Job interview #1 was for the newly established position of Master Teacher. Job interview #2 was...