Wednesday, August 2, 2017

#speakLife

Let me pull the curtain back for a minute:

In 16 years of serving as an educator, I will admit that I haven't been perfect

In fact, I often run the tape over and over again daily
to reflect on what I did and didn't do right in my classes
and how I have improved over the years (Detroit's Wayne State University taught me that)

Quick Example:
Teaching elementary grades then making the switch to middle school was not for the faint of heart
and I know Jesus probably wanted to change his name by each school year's end
but by God's grace I made it through

I managed, differentiated, and frameworked to the best of my ability

All that.

And of course you want the scores to skyrocket, but I did see small leaps
And smiles

You hope that what you do is enough
but sometimes
it's not

You just can't "get it" like that teacher over there

The one with the perfect class
Perfect lines going down the hallway
cotton-ball quiet classroom
Every component of the latest instructional framework
being brought to life
every day

Hmm.

On the other hand (there's always that other hand)
there are some teachers
that will probably never get recognized for anything
except having "That Class Down the Hall"

Hmm.

If this is you
please don't put your head in the oven

No, not yet

There's still hope for you!

You see, so many teachers are right on the bubble of being That Great Teacher

They just need a bit of support

"Support?  We support them every year", the School Leader says

Well...support them some more

In fact, support them until you can see and they can feel the training wheels come off.

It is my growing belief that teachers were not meant to "get it right" the first year
or the second
or the ninth

I think God crafted the teaching profession so that those involved
have to constantly reflect and refine their practice
becoming lifelong learners in the process

Think about it

The 2017-2018 School Year is rapidly approaching
or has already started for some

Coming back to the building are those Perfect-Super Star Teachers

Coming back to the building are those Willing Workers who could benefit from "a little extra"

Coming back to the building are some teachers who neither could be labeled
Perfect-Super Star
or
Willing Worker

These are your
"I Might Act Like I Don't Care About the Work, But I Really Do so Don't Forget About Me"
teachers

These are your "Remember Me" teachers who need "extra extra"

Hmm.

In times like these, we need to hold on to as many individuals as possible
who sincerely have a desire to work with the youth and families of our schools

And yes, there are some that probably should just change careers...

...but before you help them pack
make sure that you have a conversation with them
based on listening and thoughtful, non-judgmental responses

Your words just might make the difference in helping them becoming That Great Teacher

#speakLife





No comments:

Post a Comment

On That Day...

During Summer 2018 I had two interviews. Job interview #1 was for the newly established position of Master Teacher. Job interview #2 was...