Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Judge Not (3.1.2017)

I'm going to try and make quick work of this...

Something a colleague said to me this week really bothered me.

My colleague mentioned that a staff member hurt her feelings in terms of her classroom management skills.

There was anger, annoyance, and frustration on the part of my colleague, and I could hear it in her voice.

"That staff member has no clue of what it takes to hold down a group of students all day long".

"Yes", I agreed. "She doesn't".

You know, classroom management is very much the badge of honor for every educator.  Sometimes, it boils down to a certain "it" factor:  either you have "it" or you don't.

"It" depends on so many things.

Because I am not in the classroom with my colleague, I am not sure what her management style is like.

However, this one thing I do know:  Even if I did know her management style was poor, I dare not judge her.

In fact, no one has a right to judge her unless they are offering meaningful support in the same breath as the judgment.

Hmmm.

 Unfortunately, I think most of us who have been teaching any length of time have experienced the "Glad it's not me" syndrome.  Glad that's not my class.  Glad I'm doing okay here at the little school.

But every now and then, it doesn't hurt to lend a non-judgmental ear or hand...just to let a colleague know that you understand.

That you've traveled the same road.

That you have a student just like that on your roster.

That things can get better...and that I'm with you if you need me.

No judgement.

Simply support.

No comments:

Post a Comment

On That Day...

During Summer 2018 I had two interviews. Job interview #1 was for the newly established position of Master Teacher. Job interview #2 was...