Wednesday, December 19, 2012

My Personal Education Agenda: What's yours?

Definition of AGENDA

: a list or outline of things to be considered or done <agendas of faculty meetings>
2: an underlying often ideological plan or program <a political agenda>
--http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/agenda

Last night I went to bed with my mind spinning from my participation on #patue.  My mind was spinning due to the fact that my involvement with such Twitter chats and those similar offers so much towards my personal goal of being the best educator I can be.

I recently had a conversation with a colleague regarding "agendas".  As the conversation progressed I slowly felt in love with that word and the way it flowed from my lips...agenda.

One powerful word.

Upon exploration, I discovered that there are so many agendas to choose from and follow...then of course there are those "hidden agendas" out there as well.

So I thought about having a personal agenda as far as being an educator is concerned.  My platform.  My beliefs.  After all, if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything:

  • The idea that I do not have to wait for anyone to tell me that I am a leader (no fancy titles needed):  I lead wherever I am placed and operate with a sense of pride and excellence.

  • The idea that I make mistakes as an Educator, I acknowledge those mistakes, and I move forward in a better way.

  • The idea that I can take charge of my own learning, empower myself, and not wait for someone to tell me to go to a particular professional development workshop:  I am always learning.

  • The idea that I can be an encourager, and support my fellow colleagues with kindness, compassion, best practices, and a listening ear.

  • The idea that I appreciate the students, parents, every staff member that I serve and encounter.

  • The idea that I appreciate the community where my students and their families live, work, and play.

  • The idea that my Education degrees and my teaching certification are valuable and were worth the pursuit.

  • The idea that I can use the human, technological, and academic resources at my disposal to become the best educator I can be.

  • The idea that I am not afraid to ask my colleagues for help at the risk of being judged.

  • The idea that I celebrate the success of my fellow educators and support them whenever necessary 

  • The idea that I can stop complaining about the things that I cannot control and work within the system to change what I can. 

  • The idea that I am a professional with a balanced life:  I work hard and play hard.  I take time out to laugh and smile before, during, and after work.

This is Ms. Dean's Personal Educational Agenda.
Make yours today and be blessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

On That Day...

During Summer 2018 I had two interviews. Job interview #1 was for the newly established position of Master Teacher. Job interview #2 was...